Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Bike Rack

I have had all manner of trouble with taking my bike places. It started with buying a new car. This car is much smaller than my van (well, obviously, its a car and not a van). I was asked by some friends if I wanted to join them at a park in Lebannon to ride bikes. Sure, I say. Sounds fantastic--this was that really pretty Sunday a few weeks back. So I went home planning on throwing my bike in the back of my car. After all it is a hatchback and the back seats fold down-- I can do that, right? The back of my van fit three bikes surely I could squeeze one it the back of my Versa, right? No. Absolutely not happening. As a matter of fact I got more of a workout trying to get that bike in the back of my car without scratching anything than I thought possible. So I took one of my dogs instead. I had a nice walk while other rode. Dodger was happy, he made lots of friends.

So, I made a decision, I needed a bike rack. Nothing too expensive, just one of those that strap onto the trunk (or in my case the hatchback) of a car. Went to Target and got a bike rack. It was the next day that I realized that they charges me twice for one rack. So instead of being at $40 bike rack it was an $80 bike rack. So, I went back to Target. Armed only with my receipt and the knowledge that one person in their right mind for never buy two bike racks like this (it wouldn't fit on the back of any car). The lady was sympathetic but completly not clicking with me. She looked at me and looked at the receipt and looked back at me and said, what is a bike rack. So I am explaining, typical me fashion, with my hands. I am trying to convey the size and how it straps to the trunk and how the bikes go on the rack. Etc. etc. etc. Finally, it dawns. So you really don't need two? No, I don't. So, you didn't buy two? No, I didn't. I'll just credit back your card. Thank you very much.

Next issue... I go to strap it on my car. And it is saying that ideally, the bottom straps should be attached to something metal underneath the bottom of the bumper. There is not metal underneath the bottom of the bumper. IT IS ALL PLASTIC. So, I am in my garage (Thank you Lord for a garage and that I wasn't just in the driveway for all the neighborhood to see). I am in my garage, on the floor, still wearing my work clothes, crawling underneath my car looking for anything metal. My dogs are out there with me and think this must be a new, super fun game--the step on mommy's stomach game. Finally I just strap it to the bottom of the hatchback itself and it works nicely.

I am happy to report that I made it to work this morning without the bike flying off the back.

No comments: