Saturday, July 01, 2006


Gross

My dog Delmar is part Rat Terrier. One of his favorite pastimes out in the yard is to dig up moles and kill them. My husband and I have noticed that Delmar has been smelling a lot when he comes inside for the night. Today I found out why. I was mowing the grass in the back yard and I ran over a dead mole. This, of course, scattered the mole and a horrendous smell was the result. I started gagging and ran inside to get some water and away from the smell. The other dog, Miriam, actually did throw up. The smell was bad!!! I go out with my husband to see if the mole was still stuck in the blade of the mower. No, but there was a piece of flesh on the wheel. By this time, the flies were beginning to swarm. Thousands of them in the yard and on the spot on the wheel. So we hose down the mower and I go inside, still feeling slightly queezy. As I get myself some water I look out at the lawn. Delmar and Miriam were inspecting the "mole." They would sniff a spot then roll around on top of it. Over and Over again. Periodically, Delmar would stand up and pee over the spot. I do believe my dogs will be getting a bath today.

2 comments:

Emmitt said...

Hey, I know those dogs!

Jamie said...

Oh, yuck.

Our smallest is a killer - possums, birds, squirrels....luckily, no moles yet.

Yuck yuck yuck! You poor thing.