Friday, June 30, 2006

Foster Kids

Today I went shopping for kids I may not get. My husband and I made a big decision about 8 to 9 months ago. We prayed and we made pro/con lists and we talked and talked some more. We were going to be foster parents. We even went through the grueling 10 weeks of classes to learn how. At the end of that time, we were ready for our homestudy. We were then told it won't happen. Not because we would not make good foster parents, but because we have the wrong job. My husband works for the Department of Children's Services. This means that we can't do normal foster parenting, we have to take kids who are already in state's custody. Take a look, it's sad.

http://www.tennessee.gov/youth/adoption/profilesstart.htm

We would not be cleared for a homestudy until we expressed an interest in a kid. For a while this put us at a stand still as when we expressed interest in the kids, we were told that we would not be put on the list without a homestudy. Roadblock.

Then, perfect opportunity. Can't tell you what but we expressed interest and were cleared for a homestudy. Yeah!!! We were told that for the homestudy, you don't have to have all the beds, just a plan for each room. Not true. Now over the weekend, we have to find a bunk bed and two twin mattresses. I went shopping for the bedding today. It was a little sad to me, because although I believe that we will have a purpose for this bedding and this bed, I don't know who will be filling them and can't put any flair into it. White sheets, white pillow case, off-white blanket. I can't wait until the kids come along and I can add some color to it.

No comments: