Wednesday, June 28, 2006

"The Lake House"

I saw the movie "The Lake House" yesterday with my mother. I'll start first my saying I liked it. (If you don't want to know the ending, skip to the next paragraph). But, of course, I am a sucker for romantic movies where in the end the guy and the girl have the big kiss finale. another thing I liked is I am more than a little sick of romantic movies with the love at first sight or the we have known each other a week and a half. This couple wrote letters for more than a year before thinking about trying to meet.

Having said that, it took a lot through this movie to keep track of what time they were in. Keanu Reeves a.k.a Alex looked the same through out the entire picture and he is living in 2004. He is communicating magically with Sandra Bullock a.k.a Kate who lives in 2006. So you have to remove yourself from the magic connection and just accept that--otherwise you will be in total confusion the entire time and be unable to appreciate the big kiss ending. Another confusion that you really don't want to think too much about is the time line thing. He was to wait two years to meet her in her time. He didn't show, she stopped writing, so he went back to her letters and found out where she would be sometime before that. She stopped him later in the movie and asked him to wait an additional two years--why couldn't he just look both ways for traffic, I don't know.

Something else I learned. Noticed I stated that I saw this movie with my mother. Neither one of us could convince our husbands to join in the fun. Back to what I learned--avoid seeing a movie with my mother that is confusing in anyway. She has no qualms about asking questions and making pithy comments during the entirety of the flick. I fancy myself as a serious movie watcher. I like to banish the personal and just sink into the entertainment. I hate to be interrupted by cell phones, questions, comments, or even my own bladder. I prefer to pretend that the world I come from does not exist and just watch what is unfolding in front of me in the theater. (I'm totally different at home--there is no way to put life aside, so I am always doing something--Sudoku, cross-stitch, quilting, crochet are all good TV watching activities).

All in All not my best movie experience, but as I said in the beginning, I am a sucker for the big kiss ending. I get all teary (yes, I did that in this movie too). When things work out it is wonderful.

No comments: