Sunday, July 16, 2006


"State of Fear"

I just finished reading this book. I usually love Michael Crichton books and on the one hand this was no different. There was a lot of action and had a page turner plot. It doesn't take a lot to please me with a fiction book. Just make it interesting and MC accomplished that no problem.

On the otherhand, I felt as if I were reading some propaganda. I have to tell you I get quite sick of celebreties getting on their soap box and going off. This was a little different. It focused on that ever debated topic--global warming. Also different from the norm is he actually sited scientific journal articles to the arguments. While reading I could hear MC's voice speaking through intellegence agent Kenner, who of course, is the only character that seems to have all the information. Could a real life person just pull out stats like that from his butt? Not to mention how completely ignorant and crazy the environmentalist were portrayed in the book.

I do appreciate that MC did lay bare his biases through the Author's Message at the conclusion of the book. "A novel such as State of Fear, in which so many divergent views are expressed, may lead the reader to wonder where, exactly, the author stands on these issues." Not really Mr. Crichton. You spoke well through Agent Kenner. I did agree with MC on several points though.

I do not believe that the effects of CO2 are truly and fully known, though to deny they are increasing would be foolish. I do believe that surface warming does come from human activity, especially given that cities are hotter than outlying rural areas. I do believe that Americans should set the example of cutting waste and pollution, but do not need to force this on developing countries. I believe that we need a new environmental movement with more scientist getting the press than lawyers.

This was a good book, if anything to spark new discussion on a worn out topic--global warming. I would recommend it.

No comments: