Thursday, May 08, 2008

I Don't Think It Could be any More Unlucky

That would be my day. Not a horrible day, but things have been happening to me today that are just plain annoying. I do have a blog though, this means I get to vent here...

Started off this morning with the light bulb in my bathroom going out. No problem I get a new bulb and drag the piano bench into the bathroom, remove the glass globe, go to unscrew the light bulb. That is when the unlucky part started, the light bulb shatters. That is right, I am looking at the light bulb directly above my head while still barefooted and in pajamas and it shatters. The amazing part--none of the glass got in my eyes, I wasn't cut at all. The dilemna--I am in my barefeet and surrounded by broken glass. I manage to gingerly walk to the closet avoiding all glass and get some shoes on and sweep up the glass. I still have the task ahead of me of getting the rest of the bulb out of the fixture (maybe I should wait until my luck turns).

Next stop on my way to work was to grab a breakfast burrito from Sonic. I do believe that they pour grease to the burrito because 5 bites into it, I have grease dripping from my hand onto the front of my dress. (Ladies you can sympathize I am sure). But I have had a great big grease spot on my right boob all day long. Need I remind you I work with ALL men and one woman (and she happens to be on vacation this week). So I go into the bathroom first thing and I try to wash this spot out. IT DIDN'T WORK, it just gave me a wet boob for the first 30 minutes of work. So I spent most of my day trying to cover up my boob, without being obvious about trying to cover up my boob. Everyone was a gentleman and I could tell that they were trying not to look, but oh my goodness.

Next is the simple fact that it was a crazy busy day. There were shipping orders to process (and Oh, by the way the truck is waiting in the parking lot). There were labels to print (of course I can't do anything else while printing labels as I have to sit with my hand in the print and manually feed each and every one). There were requisistions to get approved and sent off (would it be too much to ask that the entries in the roladex reflect the companies current name and not who owned them 15 years ago). Lots to do, but there is a steady flow and a rhythm that I am getting into with this. As I am feeling good about getting so much accomplished and I am patting myself on the back for keeping caught up... a problem was discovered in payroll. The checks had mis-fed 1/2 through and was off by a line (only one l line!!!!). This wouldn't have been that big of a deal except that it was the heading of the next check on the bottom of the previous check--this means that someone else's name, SS#, and pay-rate on the bottom of the previous check. This was discovered a 1:45. They pick up their checks at 2:30. I had to void out the checks and re-issue them.

There is more. Oh, there is more, but right now I am looking forward to a long walk and maybe some icecream later. Whew. What a Day!

No comments: