Wednesday, August 02, 2006

High Faluting Language

I had a conversation with a friend and she commented on the difference in my choice of words between what I say and what I write. Apparently I like to use a few 5 dollar words when I post and I keep it simple when I talk.

I have a few theories about that:
1. I must have some sort of speech impediment. I don't stutter, but I do have a tendency to stumble over my words when speaking. I have a tendency to self correct in my head and only say out loud words that I know I can speak with eloquence.

2. I blame therapy training. I went through 4 years of college and 3 years of graduate school. During this time I wrote gobs and gobs of papers on majorly impressive stuff. I went through diagnosing classes to learn the multiaxial assessment of the DSM. In Research Design I learned about significance and generalizing, correlation, blah, blah, blah. Then in group dynamics, well you get the idea. I learned a new language of jargon. And learning this language was tough, but I worked hard and I learned it. Then it came time for my first session with people. It was in my practicum. I was nervous. Not only was it my first session with a group of people, but we were being video taped so that my supervisor could watch it later and critique the session. It went well. I thought that I was on top of things. Then my practicum group brings their video tapes to supervision and I put mine in and push play. The first critique was, "I'm not sure your clients are going to understand these words, you must adapt yourself to them, not ask them to learn your language." Something like that. I had spent 7 years learning a language that I wasn't supposed to use. So I went through my practicum time learning to translate. I knew the book term, but to communicate, I have to simplify.

3. I like to pass myself off in my blog as smarter than I really am. No explaination necessary I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am seeing a new side of you! Hmmmm.....