Thursday, August 31, 2006


Quilt Show

I recently attended the American Quilter's Guild's national quilt show. I love quilt shows. I can get ideas and be inspired to continue working on my current project. I have be working on a rose pattern quilt for a while now. It is nothing fancy, just nine-patch interchanged with plain blocks. The cool part is that it goes from light in the center to dark on the outside. I feel like a big cheater though, I machine pieced it. The long and the short of the story is this; I am a purest when it comes to quilting. I know there are some absolutely beautiful quilts out there that are machine pieced and quilted, but I have always preferred and admired the quilts that are hand pieced and quilted. (Just in case you are wondering, this one though machine pieced is being hand quilted.) I did one other machine quilt, it was the first quilt I ever did and I feel that I short changed the people I gave it to.

So, my reasoning for attending the quilt show was to get inspiration to finish my quilt. It didn't work. Instead, I picked up a new craft. Well new to me. I am sure that my husband is flabbergasted that I can go to a show dedicated to one of my favorite crafts and come home with a new one, or maybe he just knows with me a new craft is inevitable. I love crafts and working with my hands. In the list of currents would be cross-stitch, quilting, crochet, stained glass, and now, needle punch. The list of "tried but didn't quite catch my fancy" is much longer.

I am very easily distracted. I usually have two or three projects going on at one time. One needs a workshop (stained glass). One is for in front of the TV (quilting, cross-stitch, crochet, needle punch). One is for travel (cross-stitch, crochet, and needle punch). My current projects is of course needle punch, my quilt, and a stained glass piece that I designed. Maybe I'm ADHD?????

3 comments:

Kat Coble said...

Nope. Unless I am, too.

I usually have two or three projects going at once. Because a craft project springs out of your mood and feeds into your mood. I've got ones I'll pick up when I feel like muted colours and intricate patterns and others for bright colours or simple patterns.

Emmitt said...

You have too many projects! And they cost too much!

Emmitt said...

I love you anyway!