Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Glad to be Married

Can I just say, I am glad to be married. And this is not one of those thing I say because my husband is sooooo wonderful (although he is). I am saying this because I am glad not to be dating. I have a friend, not single by choice, rather single by lack of choice. And she was set up with friend of a friend's boyfriend. (I used "friend" entirely too much in the last two sentences). Now, she got the call back (great!), they made tentative plans and he was supposed to call back "beginning of next week" to solidify. What does that mean? "Beginning of next week." Is that Sunday, Monday, Tuesday? Surely it would not mean after Tuesday, because after all Wednesday is hump day, it is the middle of the week. I have to tell you, I have no idea what these dating phrases mean.

Here's another example. Another friend is doing the single thing from lack of choice. A co-worker wants to set her up. She asked my opinion. I have no clue at all. I have been married for the last 10 years. So here I am left shrugging my shoulders unable to give any opinion at all. I sympathize with all my single friends and must say I'm glad not to be in your situation.

Marriage is one of those amazing things. It is dynamic and alive and takes you by surprise all the time. If a marriage is good it can be such a self-esteem booster. Here is this man that knows (I mean KNOWS) all of my faults. He has seen me at my worst (and my best). And yet, everyday, he chooses me. I don't have to worry about "beginning of the week" or any other obscure dating phrase. I know his nuances. I know that when he says "beginning of the week" he means Monday, maybe by afternoon on Tuesday.

I am glad to be married.

1 comment:

Kat Coble said...

Yep. And you have a good husband, too. Which no doubt makes it easier.

I can't imagine doing this gig with a bad guy.