Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sad

This week at church, our music minister retired. He had been at the church for 30 years. A very impressive number. This longevity hardly effects me (except for the Wow status) because I have only been at the church a little over two years. But I am truly saddened to see him go. He wasn't just a song leader or a choir leader, he was truly a man who had a heart for people and a desire to minister. I chose this church because of the music and I stayed at this church becasue of the music. Now, we all have claims on M.E. and rememberances of his ministry that is a blessing. For my own part he was the one I turned to for advice and prayer during my divorce. I go to a large church and feeling close to a pastor in that size churhc is next to impossible, so M.E. was my minister of choice.

Last night, I went to the first choir practice without M.E. and it was something of a surreal experience. The first thing our new interim did was switch the soprano and alto side. So I am singing from what feels like the opposite side of the world. This will take some adjustment, as will learning his directing style. On the up side, he is good. He will be able to carry this choir during this time of transition. We had a reception for him before choir and he truly made an effort to great each choir member as they came through and to get to know them a litt.e I really liked how he continually empansized that we are singing more than words and more than notes, we are singing a message. Another bright side is that my friend L.T. has come out of alto retirement to help support the transition (or maybe out of a sense of curiosity?). I think I will get into trouble sitting next to her--a little too much talking going on, but choir has never passed so quickly.

M.E. will be missed. Truly missed.

No comments: