Thursday, March 15, 2007


Blogs on Dogs

I have to talk about the challenge of trimming a dog's nails. I am finding that a trick that will work for one dog will not necessarily work for another dog. My older dog, Miriam (Australian Cattle Dog), will not like getting her nails trimmed, but she will tolerate it. I have her lay down on her side in front of me and hold her feet close to her body. This eliminates any jerking back and keeps me from clipping too far down. (Anyone who has ever made the painful, bloody mistake of cutting a dogs' nails too far down knows what I am talking about). I trim all on that side, have her flip over and do all on the other side. Miriam will then get a treat for ALL the nails.

I tried this with Dodger, my little terrier cutie. He would have none of it. I couldn't even get him to lay down. The first trick I tried with him was successful--sort of. I would wait until he would fall asleep on the couch and then go after whatever nail was exposed. Dodger is smart--he started sleeping will all his paws under him. But I have found a new trick, hopefully this will continue to work with success. I actually got 4 of his nails trimmed tonight. I stand and hold him in my left arm, all four paws sticking straight out. Then with my right hand I trim one nail. After I am done with one nail and only one nail, I put him down clap my hands and say "Yeah Dodger, Good Boy." and then I give him a treat. Amazingly enough, he came back for more. So I did a 2nd nail--same way. When he had finished his Milkbone--he came back for more. So on and so on.

Dogs have such great and individual personality. It is amazing how they are so different. Trimming nails doesn't even scratch the surface. (Yes, Yes, I know--stupid pun).

No comments: