Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hornets

That's right, HORNETS. I got a wild hair to clean out our garden shed. So I start cleaning. I get things sufficiently moved around to make exit from the shed difficult when I move a piece of lumber and hear it... BZZZZZZZZZZZ. There is a hornet nest and they are mad. Their tails are up and they are about to swarm. I take off running, and climbing, and running some more. I call my husband and he was my hero--he went to Wally World for Hornet and Wasp Spray. He bought one can. "That should be enough," he says to himself. Ha Ha Ha.

So armed with my can of spray and a path cleared I go in spraying, and they drop. So I continue happily cleaning. Every so often I would see a straggler. I would spray it, and it would drop. I would spray it, and it would drop. I was coming to the end of my handy-dandy can when I happen to hit two hornets on the selves in the back of the shed and some overspray goes behind them. And I hear it again... BZZZZZZZZZZZ. Even louder than the first. And they do start to swarm. I pull out my spray and I am ready. I start spraying. I am confident in my hornet killing capabilities--after all I have already taken out one nest. Then the unthinkable happens--the spray runs out. They are still swarming, luckily they are slow because of the cooler wedding, but still swarming. I start running again. Oh yeah, and yelling "oh shit, oh shit, oh shit....."

When I go back to the shed there are about 200 dead and dying hornets on the floor. We invested in another can of Hornet and Wasp Spray. Amazingly enough, I did not get stung a single time.

1 comment:

Emmitt said...

You swore!